header ads

It's Okay to Try and Not Get Rewarded: How I Learned to Embrace Effort Over Outcome



It's Okay to Try and Not Get Rewarded: How I Learned to Embrace Effort Over Outcome

It's Okay to Try and Not Get Rewarded: How I Learned to Embrace Effort Over Outcome
It's Okay to Try and Not Get Rewarded: How I Learned to Embrace Effort Over Outcome



Growing up, I believed in the simple equation: effort equals reward. Teachers praised me for working hard, and success followed. When I studied for hours, I aced my tests. When I practiced tirelessly for a dance competition, I won. It seemed foolproof—until life proved otherwise.


One pivotal experience turned my world upside down. It taught me a lesson I carry to this day: the effort you put in won’t always lead to the results you expect, and that’s okay. Here’s my story.


The Ambitious Start



It was my final year at university, and I was determined to secure a prestigious internship at one of the top firms in my field. This internship wasn’t just a step toward my dream career—it was validation. If I landed it, it would mean I was on the right path, that all my hard work had been worth it.


I spent months preparing. My days were consumed by perfecting my resume, practicing mock interviews, and poring over industry trends. I stayed up late crafting the perfect application essays, going through draft after draft until they gleamed with perfection. By the time I submitted my application, I felt confident. Surely, all this effort would pay off.


The First Blow


A few weeks later, I got an email. My heart raced as I opened it. But my excitement quickly crumbled: “We regret to inform you…”

The rejection stung. I had convinced myself this was a sure thing, and the dismissal felt personal. I replayed every step in my mind, wondering where I’d gone wrong. Had I overlooked something? Was I not good enough?


But I didn’t give up. Instead, I threw myself into applying for other opportunities. “This is just a setback,” I told myself. “The next one will come through.”


The Domino Effect


It didn’t.

Over the next few months, I faced rejection after rejection. Each one hit harder than the last. My self-esteem plummeted, and I started questioning my worth. Was all my effort meaningless?


One night, after yet another rejection email, I broke down. I sat on my bed, staring at my laptop screen, tears streaming down my face. “Why am I even trying?” I whispered to myself.


A Life-Changing Conversation


The next day, I called my mom. She listened patiently as I vented my frustration, anger, and sadness. After I finished, she said something that stopped me in my tracks:


Not every seed you plant grows into a tree. But does that mean you stop planting?


At first, I didn’t get it. But as she explained, her words began to sink in. Effort isn’t always about the result. Sometimes, it’s about the growth you experience along the way.

It’s okay to be disappointed,” she said. “But don’t let it make you bitter. Every time you try, you learn something new. That’s the real reward.


Shifting My Perspective


Her words stayed with me. Slowly, I began to look at my efforts differently. I stopped tying my self-worth to external outcomes and started appreciating the process itself.


I realized that every rejection had taught me something: how to write a better cover letter, how to handle tough interview questions, how to persevere in the face of disappointment.



And it wasn’t just about career growth. I became more resilient, more patient, and more empathetic—qualities that no internship or job could ever teach me.


The Unexpected Break



Months later, I applied for a smaller, less prestigious position at a local organization. By this point, I had let go of the pressure to prove myself. I approached the application with a calmer mindset, focusing on expressing my genuine interest rather than trying to be “perfect.”


To my surprise, I got the job.


The experience turned out to be far more fulfilling than I could have imagined. It wasn’t the dream opportunity I had initially envisioned, but it helped me discover new passions and skills. More importantly, it reminded me that success doesn’t always look the way you expect.


Embracing Effort Over Outcome


Looking back, I’m grateful for all those rejections. They forced me to confront my fears and redefine my relationship with effort and reward. Here are some lessons I’ve learned that might help you, too:


1. Detach Effort from Results


It’s natural to hope for a payoff, but don’t let the outcome overshadow the journey. Celebrate your effort, regardless of the result.


2. Find the Lessons in Failure


Every setback is an opportunity to learn and grow. Instead of dwelling on what didn’t work, focus on what you can improve next time.


3. Redefine Success


Success isn’t always about achieving a specific goal. Sometimes, it’s about the personal growth you experience along the way.


4. Keep Planting Seeds


Just because one effort doesn’t yield results doesn’t mean the next one won’t. Keep trying, and trust that your persistence will pay off in unexpected ways.


5. Be Kind to Yourself


Rejection can be tough, but don’t let it define you. Treat yourself with compassion and remember that everyone faces setbacks.


Moving Forward


These days, I approach challenges with a different mindset. Whether it’s a big project at work or a personal goal, I remind myself that effort itself is valuable, regardless of the outcome.


And when things don’t go as planned, I think back to my mom’s words: “Not every seed grows into a tree. But that doesn’t mean you stop planting.”


So, to anyone out there who’s feeling disheartened, know this: It’s okay to try and not get rewarded. What matters most is that you tried. Keep planting your seeds—you never know which one will bloom.


Life isn’t always fair, and effort doesn’t always lead to immediate rewards. But that doesn’t mean your efforts are in vain. So keep trying, keep learning, and keep believing. Because even when the world doesn’t recognize your effort, you’re becoming stronger, wiser, and more prepared for whatever comes next. And that, in itself, is a reward worth celebrating.


Post a Comment

0 Comments